Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Peter Faun..a renowned Chinese Writer

Peter Faun..or fondly known in Chinese as 冯冯 was a writer. He won many awards in the literature category and could live a comfortable life but he decided to immigrate to Canada with his beloved mother and they settled in Vancouver. He lived a simple and 'down to earth life' with his Mum away from all the glitters. He wrote many interesting books giving lively and vivid illustrations on Buddha's teaching. He has vast interest. Other than writing, he was also interested in music and he wrote many Buddhist songs. He studied the solar system and used many pictures and illustration against Buddhist scriptures to proof Buddha's teaching.

Being a devoted Buddhist and a practitioner, Peter is well known for his books illustrating psychic power of the 'Third Eye'. He used these personal experiences and shared them in the books he has written. These books serve as a reminder and a motivator to practicing Buddhists. In Buddhist circle, psychic power is a 'taboo'.. and he faced many caustic remarks from those who cannot accept such outspoken sharing in public. Peter is also known to save and cured many people with the said power. However Buddhism is not based on ' psychic power'. The fundamental is still Buddha's teaching. That is why Westerners always feel that religious teachings from the East are 'Mystical'

He is a much respected writer to many. I am one of his readers. I love the kindness and gentleness and the way he help Sentient Beings with his writing. Unfortunately he wrote in Chinese and as such those reading only English are not able to benefit from this great writer.

Recently I am wondering to myself why there are no more publications of his in the market. A simple minded me did not realized that he had actually passed away. Peter Faun passed away in Taiwan, Chi Ji Hospital at the aged of 76 years old. He passed away on 18th April, 2007.

My prayers for 冯冯居士 : Wherever you are, may you come back for the sake of Sentient Beings with your Bodhisattva's heart. Ohm Mani Padme Hum..Ohm Mani Padme Hum.. Ohm Mani Padme Hum. May these prayer wheels turn permanently with the Six Syllabus for your enlightenment.

Below is my one and only correspondence with him and this was his reply. I actually donated to charity in his name and sent him 2 packs of cards from this charity home for his used. Now this is a precious collection of mine.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Sorry to hear that Peter Faun died.

    In the 80s, I lived beside Peter in Vancouver. There are many things I saw and learned from him. I have many stories.

    Yes, he saw with his third eye. From the standpoint of psychic ability, his specialities were: health, and talking with spirits.

    What really surprised me one day was when he was able to diagnose what was wrong with my car. He was so mechanically uninclined, he could barely turn a nut without cross threading it. I asked what was wrong with my clutch. He held out his finger and turned it, indicating out of true. When I took out the engine again, the transmission spigot was straight. What Peter didn't know was that there was a bearing in the flywheel to keep the spigot straight. The spigot was vibrating when I shifted gears.

    I also have letters from Peter. In one, he was able to diagnose the afflication that my great uncle had. My great uncle was really surprised when he read it, because that's exactly what the doctors told him, peptic ulcers.

    Thank you for posting about Peter and letting me know the news. I really appreciate it. How can I contact you directly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rodger, it is lovely to hear from you, sharing what we know of Peter Faun. You may write to my email address : lian13300@gmail.com
    Look forward to hear from you. If you can share the letters Peter wrote to you, I will post it up. Some of his devotees are collecting bits and pieces of his correspondences into a blog for memory of this humble gentleman.

    Cheers and have a good day ahead, everyday... :)

    ReplyDelete